Topographical Survey Division is the Geodetic Agency and the main producer of national spatial data infrastructure. It also validates national horizontal and vertical datum. It ensures accuracy and strengthens surveying techniques and technologies, creates up to date and accurate fundamental geospatial data and topographical database.
Mandates and functions of Topographical Survey Division
Topographical, geodetic, geophysical surveys and calibration of instruments
- Define and maintain National Coordinate System.
- Establish, validate and archive the National Geodetic network of horizontal and vertical
- Provide secondary and tertiary control points.
- Carry out topographical surveys (Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, and Terrestrial
- Update Fundamental Geospatial Data.
- Demarcate and delineate administrative boundaries and Provide technical support to IB.
- Maintain inventory and carry out calibration of surveying instruments
- Carry out geospatial works on the paid basis
- Acquisition and processing of satellite imageries/aerial/terrestrial photographs
- Provide technical advice with regard to surveying and mapping ensuring standards.
Core products and services
- Digital Topographical Maps
- Ground control points
- Height benchmarks
- Digital Elevation Model (DEMs)
- Thematic Topographical Maps
- Image maps
- GNSS data
- Geodetic Surveying
- Topographic Surveying
- Calibration of Instruments
- Provision of ground control points
- Provision of height benchmarks
- Administrative Boundary demarcation
- Geodetic and geophysical surveys
- Topographic surveys
- Engineering surveys
- Photogrammetric processes
- Production of topographic, thematic and orthophoto maps
ii. International Boundary
iii. Dzongkhags and Thromdes
i. All the ministries
vii. Individual land owners
ii. Local Government
iv. Anti Corruption Commission
v. Royal Bhutan Police
Strengths, weakness, challenges in delivering the services and products
Linkage of service/products to the overall vision, mission of NLC
State-of-art technology for efficient service delivery
Geodetic infrastructure and fundamental data for land management