The Centre for Geo-Information (CGI) is an independent unit in NLCS operating under the Department of Survey and Mapping (DoSAM). It serves as the coordination center to develop, promulgate and enforce bylaws, regulations and standards covering all aspects of geo-information. CGI is a collaboration of multidisciplinary expertise and resources from various GI member agencies and end users. Realizing Geospatial Information as an indispensable tool for proper planning and decision-making process, the RGoB approved the Geo-Information (GI) Policy in July 2018. This indicates that Geospatial Information is recognized as an important aspect in realizing GNH goals. The policy is found on the fundamental principles of availability, reliability, accessibility and affordability by reducing duplication of efforts and cost in gathering GI data and by enhancing capacity to keep abreast with rapid changing technology. The key objectives of GI policy include:
(1) Instituting an inclusive institutional and legal framework;
(2) To ensure availability of reliable geo-information;
(3) To enhance data discovery, accessibility and sharing mechanism without duplication or
silos in operation and
(4) To promote sustainable and optimal use of geo-information and technologies.
By implementing GI policy, CGI aims to facilitate GI users across the country through a common Geoportal serving as a single and seamless point of access to Geo-information for all GIS users as well as policy makers in the country. The Geo-Information services availed by CGI will benefit GI producers, GI users, policy makers, planners etc. in implementing policies and plans contributing to national socio-economic development. The policy mandates CGI to promote sustainable and optimal utilization of geospatial information through the development National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) for Bhutan. The realization of Bhutanese NSDI will enable us to reap the full potential of geospatial applications in the country.
Mandates and Functions of CGISC
Center for Geo-Information (CGI) is responsible for implementing the strategies, plans and programs aimed at achieving reliable Nationwide GIS infrastructure in Bhutan covering all aspects of Geo-Information. In other words, the primary mandate the Center for GIS Coordination is to spearhead the development of NSDI for Bhutan and implementation of GI Policy. The CGISC shall achieve its mandates through the contribution of all member agencies.
- Promote utilization of geospatial information through the development of NSDI.
- Spearhead the development of NSDI in the country.
- Facilitate GIS software to GIS users in the country.
- Responsible for GI updates, Administration, Maintenance and security of Bhutan Geoportal.
- Facilitate geospatial information/data and coordination among CGIS members and relevant stakeholders during the national emergencies
- Facilitate geospatial data to students and researchers within the country and Bhutanese students abroad.
- Provide technical support and guidance to all GIS users and help develop its capacity.
- Host and facilitate the activities of the GHLC on a regular basis.
- Organize the meetings of the GHLC and the other working groups on a regular basis, as decided in the meetings or as per the need basis.
- Spearhead in preparing Five-year plan (FYP) related to Geo-Information.
- Organize and conduct workshops/seminars and conferences which will provide exposure to the GIS user community in Bhutan.
- Develop Terms of References for CGI Focal Person.
- Explore and collaborate with Regional and Global Community of GIS Professionals for strengthening NSDI.
- Maintain the correspondences and files pertaining to the activities of the GHLC and other constituted working groups.
- It shall bring out the policy recommendations on Geo-Information issues.
- Initiate the formation of TWG and committee as and when necessary.
Core Products and Services
- Organization and Coordination among CGI member agencies
- Facilitation of Geospatial information
- Facilitation of GIS and RS software including installation and updates to GI users.
- Technical support and guidance to GIS user across the country
- Formulation of Rules and regulation related to GI.
- SOP’s related to GI
- Renewal and update of GI proprietary software.
- Updation and validation of Geoportal Data.
- Updated of metadata.
- Maintenance of Geoportal
- Facilitate in-house meetings workshops, seminars, conferences with internal and externals technical experts in geo-information.
CGI Member Agencies
The member agencies comprise of representatives from various ministries, departments, autonomous agencies, corporations, NGOS and relevant divisions from NLCS.
- National Land Commission (NLC)
- Focal person from Geo-Informatics Division
- Focal person Topographical Division
- Focal person Cadastral Division
- Gross National Happiness Commission (GNHC)
- Ministry of Works & Human Settlement (MoWHS)
- Department of Human Settlements (DHS)
- Department of Roads (DoR)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Forest (MoAF)
- Department of Livestock (DOL)
- Department of Forest and Park Services (DoFPS)
- Research and Statistical Division (RSD)
- National Soil Service Center (NSSC)
- Forest Resources Management Division (FRMD)
- Ministry of Economic Affairs (MoEA)
- Department of Geology and Mines (DGM)
- Department of Hydro Power System (DHPS)
- National Center for Hydrology and Meteorology (NCHM)
- Department of Renewable Energy
- Ministry of Information and Communication (MoIC)
- Department of Information and Technology (DIT)
- Ministry of Home and Cultural Affairs (MoHCA)
- Department of Culture (DoC)
- Department of Disaster Management (DDM)
- Ministry of Education (MoE)
- College of Science and Technology (CST)
- Jigme Namgyel Engineering College (JNEC)
- Royal Thimphu College (RTC)
- College of Natural Resources (CNR)
- Sherubtse College
- Ministry of Health (MoH)
- Thimphu Thromde
- Phuntsholing Thromde
- Gelephu Thromde
- Samdrup Jongkhar Thromde
- Autonomous Agencies
- Election Commission of Bhutan (ECB)
- National Statistical Bureau (NSB)
- Royal Audit Authority (RAA)
- National Environment Commission (NEC)
- Bhutan Power Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Bhutan Telecom Limited (BTL)
- National Housing Development Corporation Limited (NHDCL)
- Natural Resources Developmental Corporation (NRDCL)
- World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
- Royal Society & Protection Nature (RSPN)
- All relevant Divisions and Sections of NLCS
- Dzongkhags and Thromde
- CIGISC Members
- ALL GI users across the country
- Students and researchers
- International Organizations
Key Stake Holders
- CGISC Members
- All GI Producers